Subject: HR 1462  - The Udall Bill - Parkinson's Research
Date: May 23, 1996
Dear Representative  Barton,
Just wanted to thank you for the time that you and Julie Lewis spent
with Nancy and me while we were in Washington. With Nancy's Parkinson's
Disease nipping away at every corner our journey to Washington was
exhausting and emotion packed as you may recall from her tears. As of
this writing the Udall Bill HR1462 The Parkinson's research, Education
and Assistance Act now has 37 Senator's and 154 Representatives
cosponsoring.
We have not heard from you on this issue. We seek your compassion and
understanding for our own personal plight but also for the millions who
are now or soon will be afflicted by this devastating disease. The
economic case is compelling as the bill will almost surely lead to a
cure before the baby boomer generation hits the age window when PD so
often strikes which is between 57 and 61 years of age. The bill
requests  $100 million each year for 5 years to be targeted for
Parkinson's Disease. Of all the neurological disorders, the medical
community seems united in their view that targeting PD at this stage of
the curative discovery process is a clear winner.
Julie expressed your concern about pro-life versus pro-choice issues.
Nancy and I  are pro-life advocates. This bill, we do not feel,
supports any pro-abortion positions. It does not preclude the use of
any available tissue/organ  sources that might assist the researchers
in developing the cure and we do not believe it should preclude such
use. Use of human fetal tissue has been demonstrated to have some
significant benefits but appears to just be a path to finding the cure
and is not likely to be a long term solution.
Through past legislation, sponsored by congressman Upton, aborted
tissue can not be used for profit nor can a beneficiary be named. Nancy
and I believe that is the legislative link that protects the unborn in
this complex issue. We do not believe that this bill would encourage
abortions or approve of them in anyway. We would not endorse that. On
the other hand use of human organs, and for that matter organs of other
species, to save the life or improve the hopeless state of those
afflicted with serious ailments makes sense, and we do embrace that as
a solution.
With regard to glial cell derived neurotropic factors (GDNF)  that
research does not involve the use of fetal cell tissue.  That was
another question that was raised. These molecules appear to activate or
rejuvenate dormant dopamine producing brain cells which would simulate
if not be a cure for Parkinson's Disease. This exciting research is
just one of the reasons the PD community has come together at this time
in search of research funds.
 Please tell us that we can count on your support  to cosponsor this
legislation.
Yours truly,

Bob Martone
3614 Forest Village Dr.                                                Kingwood, TX 77339                                                Phone:
Home 713-358-5168  Office 713-241-2611