May23, 1996.  Dear Camilla: I missed the PBS program with Dr.Keith Black. I
have kept up my interest in the blood-brain-barrier sinde 1952. It became a
focus of my Ph.D. thesis research in neuropharmacology. Since then my
research has frequentkly touched on the cellular biology of the bbb and the
mechanisms of the toxic efects of heavy metals on the permeability of brain
surface capillaries. Dr. Black's development of a technnique for temorarily
opening the bbb could, as you pointed out, have great utility in
facilitating transfer of non-lipid-soluble drugs into specific brain areas.
Exciting results can be expected in treating neurologic diseases and to
weaken or destroy tumor metasteses in the brain. We may be in the beginning
of a revolution of how to destroy abnormal cells in the CNS in a specific
manner and prolong life that can remain productive.

       With best regards,   Steven E. Mayer [log in to unmask],edu.