Friends--this is a long post, so be warned.
I just talked by phone with the "health issues" aide in the office of our
Rep. John Boehner (Ohio) and am fairly discouraged about any chance of
Boehner sponsoring.  This followed *many* letters, from us personally and from
our support group, with replies from Boehner setting forth his objections.
Simply put, they are these:
1. Congress is not the best source of decisions re: which disease should
get what funds. (the micro-managing argument), and he is opposed to this in
all areas,believing that the Democrats have done too much of this kind of
government interference, and the present Republican Congress must "correct "
this pattern.
2. He"strongly supports" increased PD funding, but this must be by giving more
funds to NIH and _letting the scientists there decide how to spend it_ and he
has urged PD be a high priority..."We've given NIH more money"....
3.He believes the best approach to providing a cure is by "reforming"the FDA
and changing restrictions which slow approval of new drugs and also keep
US firms from selling abroad drugs that are approved overseas but not here.
"Drug companies have to make a profit in order to do the research"...

Some additional bits of info gleaned from the aide are interesting/troubling.
He discounted the "underfunded" argument, insisting that PD has made better pro
gress in research than other diseases, and"that wouldn't have happened if it
were really so underfunded." "We support a focus on funding, we just don't
agree how to do it."
When I mentioned that I had given them the names of several Reps. who are
"fiscal conservative Republicans" and sponsors, he remarked cynically that
people know "that bill isn't going anywhere this year--things like the
budget take priority--and may sign on just to get credit, knowing they'll
not have to vote on it. There's NOT ENOUGH GRASSROOTS SUPPORT YET"
Also, Boehner, who is #4 in the House Republican leadership, "doesn't
co-sponsor many bills, due to his leadership role".  He was scornful of
Rep. Waxman, suggesting that his sponsorship was counter-productive for the
Republicans.. there's a lot of politics in this, and he doesn't have a lot of
pull".  It seems Waxman is opposed to "reform" of the FDA, and this works
against Boehner's approval, too. "Giving the decision-making power to the
scientists at NIH, not to Congress is the way we Republicans want decisions
made."
He urged that we support changes at FDA as a means of getting new drugs for
PD, and said he is mailing me a report from the Freedom Foundation that details
 this idea. Specifically, he said FDA never follows the guidelines for time
limits they have set up, have too much paper work for researchers, and need
to streamline the system.( Gary was a microbiology major at MIT, and has
himself done research.) He said there are several bills before the House to
reform FDA, and not sure which will make it to the floor (one is from
Rep. Greenwood, one from Rep. Bilirakis)
I asked then whether concern re: fetal tissue research was part of Boehner's
problem with the bill, but he said he thought not--never was  mentioned .The
objections seem to be more procedural and not related to the abortion issue.
Finally, he summed up : Get increased NIH funds and urge PD get priority(they
have done this, he said)  Then reform FDA...maybe get Waxman to drop his
opposition!  Then let the Republicans make it all better! <G> ;-)
I really doubt that Boehner will come around--but the comment about "not
enough grassroots support" is worth noting for other legislators. I also
wonder how--if at all--the PD community can pressure/encourage the NIH to
prioritize PD as "underfunded", and if this is something we should be
asking legislators to do even if they won't sign on for Udall?
Wonder what the folks at PAN think? Is this a possible lobbying focus too?
I guess I wasn't too surprised at Boehner's stand, since he and I NEVER AGREE
about ANYTHING!  Now maybe our efforts will be better directed in another
area --suggestion are welcome!    BTW, the 1-800-962-3524 number which someone
put onlist is great--it is to the Capitol switchboard, and they will connect
you to any Rep. or Senator's office--talk all you want for free! Let's
publicize it when we ask folks to contact legislators!
Camilla Flintermann,CG for Peter 78/6+,Oxford,OH