>My husband (46, 5+ PD) was recently hospitalized with pneumonia.  He
>definitely had a bad reaction to his antibiotics.  Throughout his life
>he had never been allergic to antibiotics.  When the I.V. drugs were
>administered his tremor became violent, he could not sit still at all,
>his blood pressure jumped to 190/90 (normally his BP is 120/80), he
>said he saw a cloudiness or vapor along the floor of his room, and he
>also got small hives on his neck.  When he told the nurse she
>attributed the hives to his shaving, and his tremor became bad because
>he took his parkinson's meds incorrectly!  They reported this to his
>doctor but the doctor sent him home with a prescription for the same
>type of antibiotic!!! The I.V. was Claforan (Cefotaxime), the
>prescription was Lorabid; I looked these up in my drug book and BOTH
>are from an antibiotic called Cephalosporin!!  So, if you did notice a
>difference while you were on antibiotics you are probably right.
>Incidently, my husband also takes Co-Q10.  Good luck.
>
>Jackie Gilman
>Florida

Hello Bob & Jackie,

Sorry I have been a little late in coming back to you.

Thanks for relating the problems Bob experienced with the antibiotics.  It
goes to show how careful we have to be with this weird disease.

I seem to be holding the improvement I noticed when I came off the
ampicillin but not getting any better than that.  If I had to guess I would
say that maybe the ampicillin made some of the symptoms worse but did not
cause the problem itself.  I have to take a nightly antibiotic to keep my
bladder clear and at the moment am on one  nitrofurantoin tablet nightly . I
am due to go back on ampicillin in about 70 days so will observe the effect
carefully.

I don't have the tremor that most people have so observations are always
more difficult.  For example, if I am sitting quietly watching TV there is
little to judge my condition.  It is only by getting up and doing something
such as using the telephone or writing (trying to) that my actual condition
can be judged. Then, the shake of the hand on reaching out can be very
noticable and the writing at it's worst can freeze up completely.

Actually, I have often found myself better AFTER eating.  From time to time
I have become quite "shaky" before eating.  I am well aware that this can be
caused by low blood sugar levels.  I had a bad episode just before lunch
yesterday and tried taking two teaspoons of sugar even though I had just
started my lunch. The shaky feeling seemed to go within about 10 mins.  I
had the routine diabetes tests when first diagnosed and had a free test by a
local charity last month which came up OK so guess it can't be that.

Best wishes to you both.

Ernie, (53, PD 2.5 yrs diag)

Ernie Peters ([log in to unmask])