Dear Ernie,

> Actually, I have often found myself better AFTER eating.  From time to time> I have become quite "shaky" before eating.  I am well aware that
this can be> caused by low blood sugar levels.  I had a bad episode just
before lunch> yesterday and tried taking two teaspoons of sugar even
though I had just> started my lunch. The shaky feeling seemed to go
within about 10 mins.  I> had the routine diabetes tests when first
diagnosed and had a free test by a> local charity last month which came
>up OK so guess it can't be that.
>You may indeed have neither diabetes nor true hypoglycemia;
nevertheless, you could be experiencing a sudden drop in blood sugar for
other reasons (physiological, meds, etc.). May I suggest you carry
glucose tablets--they work somewhat faster than table sugar. I recommend
this in case a more severe reaction should occur in future; sometimes
there's no sugar handy. People with diabetes routinely carry tablets
wherever they go, in case of emergency.
Best regards,
--
Kathrynne Holden, MS, RD