This letter went out today to 59 fellow Texans today.

 Parkinson's Action Network
       Invisible No More

Subject: The Udall Bill
Date: May 20, 1996
Dear  Friends,

I selected your name from the Houston Area Parkinson's Society (HAPS)
mailing list because in some cases I know you, in others cases I know
you are active in PD groups, and in some cases you are in a
congressional district that I consider to be a key to success in
getting The Parkinson's Research Education and Assistance Act passed by
congress. I ask you to contact your congressman and our two senators
and let them know that you want them to cosponsor the Udall Bill. The
House Bill is HR 1462 and the Senate bill is S 684.

It now appears that the Morris K. Udall Bill will come out of committee
for congressional  consideration, as early as July of this year, by
both Houses. To date eight Texas congressman have come out and said
they will cosponsor the bill. For this bill to pass we will need at
least sixteen Texas Congressman and ideally both Senators to agree to
be cosponsors.

As Regional Coordinator for the State of Texas I am committed to
getting our state behind this bill, but I will need your help. As a
Board member of the Houston Area Parkinson Society and now a Regional
Coordinator for the Parkinson's Action Network, I understand the hard
work that it takes to get something like this done. I also know that I
can not do it alone.

Please call visit or write your congressman and ask him to cosponsor
the Udall Bill.  Explain to him why this bill is so important to the
Parkinson community and to the national budget deficit. I just returned
from Washington where I visited ten of our congressman and both
senators offices. I will continue to work with them and their staff to
get this legislation passed. I am committed to getting at least sixteen
of them on board by mid July 1996. My congressman, Jack Fields is now a
cosponsor as are congressman Bentsen, Bryant, Frost, Hall, Jackson Lee,
Laughlin and Wilson.

My wife and I also visited congressmen DeLay, Barton, Green, Bonilla,
Doggett and Archer and believe they are  candidates to be cosponsors.

If you can't help please let me know and I will seek others. You can
help immeasurably by calling and writing your congressman and our
senators. I have learned from the Parkinson Action Network that phone
calls are tabulated and letters are counted and used by our
representatives when they are deciding how to vote on a particular
issue. Your taking just a few minutes to make the call or and hour to
write a letter or a morning to visit your congressman is key to our
success. Please act now! Don't put this letter down and say I'll do it
tomorrow. Do it now! All congressmen are home during the Memorial day
break so you can visit them in your district.

Enclosed you will find what you will need to understand the Udall Bill,
and to understand who you should call to get the message across. All
our congressmen, and the district they represent, are listed on the
attached. If you don't know what district you are in look on your voter
registration card. It tells you. Then by looking at the attached list
you can determine who your congressman is and then call him and ask him
to cosponsor the Udall bill. I have tried to identify your congressman
for you on this letter. Call every week this summer if you have to
until he says yes. I am told this works and works well. If you can,
visit his/her local office in person and let them see you and hear
about the pain and suffering that this disease has brought to you and
your family.

Caregivers and spouses, you play an important role in getting this
done. Many Parkinsonian's can't use the phone because of their tremor
or dyskenisia or because their voice will no longer carry this all
important message. Your support for your spouse, relative or friend is
extremely important to this national effort.

We will succeed but we need your help NOW!

If you are able to volunteer as coordinator for your congressional
district please call or write to me. I will keep you updated on all the
latest statistics, scheduled hearings and any important activities
taking place around these two bills. All you will have to do is contact
your local congressman and let him know how much you want him to be a
cosponsor.

Telephone
Robert A. (Bob) Martone                Home 713-358-5168
Regional Coordinator                     Office 713-241-2611
Parkinson's Action Network            Fax 713-241-3991
3614 Forest Village Dr.
Kingwood Tx. 77339