        Please let me introduce myself.  I am a pharmacist, working ( until
recently) in a retail setting in Chicago.  I am 43 years old, married and
have two teenage sons.  My aunt (Cyberstella) has been a trememdous help in
getting me hooked-up to the internet.  Susan Reese (ADPA Chicagoland info
person) helped me find this this listserv.  Last year, in June, I was
diagnosed as having PD. The last year has been real roller coaster ride. My
first symptoms appeared in my right hand and wrist and now my right upper
extremity (RUE) is affected.  When my wife's Mom passed away in March, I
started to notice rigidity in my right foot and toes and a wierd feeling in
my leg.  I have a postural tremor in my right hand and arm, and also a
tremor at rest.                                       Currently, I am taking
Eldepryl 5mg. (twice a day) and Permax (twice a day, total daily = 1.5 mg
and increasing)  I am waiting impatiently for the Permax to improve my fine
motor skills (handwriting and typing), as now I can sign my name but it sure
takes awhile.  I will have to consider Sinemet as the next drug if the
Permax doesn't help more than it has so far.  I know there must be alot of
other PD patients on the same meds?
Bird watching (birding) is my stress reducer.  Pharmacists, as you know,
recieve lots of pressure and stress daily.  I try to get out birding at
least twice a week, year round.
I strongly believe that there are cures for many diseases in the natural
world.  The oceans ( coral reefs ) and rainforests ( poison arrow frogs ),
among others, still contain these products.  Our immune systems may hold the
key to the cure for PD, but much research is still needed.  That is just
another reason to spend all the time that you are able, to see the Udall
bill become law.              Compared to many of you, my symptoms/problems
are nothing, but they have affected my ability to perform as a RPh.  As of
May 19th, 1996, I have been replaced in my position as staff pharmacist at
the store where I had been working.  So now, I am in the undistributed pool
(floating) until a staff RPh. position becomes available for which I may be
eligible.  Your  disability input here would mean a great deal to me.  Do
you think that if I was PG (pregnant) instead of having PD, my employer
would still have held my staff RPh position?
Now I realize that my wife and I are not alone in pondering all these PD
issues.  We are in the same boat and I hope we will get to know each other.
GO Bulls :)
Ralph G. Herbst  ^^v^^  [log in to unmask]  ^^v^^