----- Forwarded message begins here -----
From: Kathy Sowa  <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 27 May 96 09:23:51 MDT
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Progressive supranuclear palsy (PSP) crisis

Eventhough my mother has PSP and not Parkinsons, I have been utilizing this
listserv for several years and have always received valuable knowledge
about Parkinsons and Parkinsonisms. Now I need some help.

My mother (Marge) was first diagnosed with Parkinsons in 1991, but that
diagnosis was later changed to PSP in January of 1995. She moved to live
with me in Las Cruces NM from Chicago in March of 1995, and has always done
pretty well--able to ambulate with assistance, attend adult day care, go to
Church on Sundays, shopping (though walking longer distances made her
tired) and fly to Chicago to visit the rest of the family. On May 3d of
this year Mom and I flew to Chicago for a family visit. She did very well
the first couple of days--even climbed steps and a church for a first
communion, got in and out of a Winnebago (with assistance, of course).
Starting about Thursday of the next week, while still in Chicago, she
started a strange decline : she would awake in the morning, but would
refuse to take her shower, or take her pills, eat, or anything. She was
awake but would close her eyes. After several hours she would "snap" out of
it, and do everything. But by Sunday (Mother's day) it was longer and she
didn't snap until 2 pm.

But she was able to fly home that night, and on Monday was ok. We stayed
home, but on Tuesday, when she was to return to adult day care and me to
work, she again refused. By Thursday she was worse, so I called an
ambulance and took her to the emergency room, who admitted her to a psych
hospital since it appeard to be depression. She was at that hospital for a
week but didn't get any better. She hasn't walked in about 6 days and is
getting weaker. She is now in El Paso at a Rehabilitation hospital, where
she is being fed & given her meds through a nasal tube. I am considering a
feeding tube instead.

For medication, the psych doctor prescribed Ritalin 10 Mg. Praxil (not sure
of amount), and her regular Sinemet 25/100, 2 pills 3 x's day, glipizide
(she's diabetic), and amantadine.

What worries me is that this happened so fast. Our family knew that she
would get worse, but not this fast!

We are so desperate because we are not confident with the doctors. Her
neurologist refused to deal with her when this first happened because he
said it was "not a neurological" thing and she should see her primary care
physician! That's what we pay $150 a visit for!

Any ideas, similar experiences, would be helpful. My email address is:
------ Forwarded message ends here ------