I too have found that running and walking make me feel very much better. If I
don't exercise for a few days I find it very difficult to start again - as they
say " use it or lose it".

Just a word of caution - I founds that I was starting to falling frequently . It
took some time to realise why it was happening - it was simply 'forgeting' to
put one foot in front of the other! For me at least this had several
consequences:
        Lots of bruises
        Arthritic toe joints due to the strain of trying to recover by standing
on the toes
        I began to 'forget' how to walk quickly.

I found that a stick is the answer. It has to be long so that you can throw your
weight on it and not fall over the top. It took several months before it became
instinctive to use it to stop but now I hardly ever fall. It has the added
advantage that people tend to keep out of your way!

I found that I had to relearn to walk fast and jog on a treadmill where there is
no danger of falling. The fitness freaks in the local gym think it a bit odd
when you first limp in but soon prove supportive.

I can now walk long distances (10 miles or so) over rough country. However,
jogging with a stick  is impossable.

Hope this is useful.

Nigel Cockle