> Interesting.  I am wondering still if the category "milk" is not specific enough.  There is knowledge that fat  is digestively in the
stomach longest, protein next.  How much of the "milk problem of
interference" is> digestive residence metabolic loss (= digestion) of
the levodopa while held> in the stomach?> In other words, is the major
loss in the stomach or in the LNAA absorption> from the small intestine?
 I suppose the levodopa percentage leaving the> stomach could be much
dependent upon the individual's digestive modus
> operandi.

Well, good point. Since levodopa has a short half life, high-fat
food such as whole milk would certainly delay stomach emptying time and
keep the med from getting into the intestine. Also, stomach enzymes
would have more time to go to work on the early stages of
metabolizing the med. And that would lead to lessened absorption of the
med.

However, assuming use of nonfat or skim milk, fat would not be a factor
unless other foods were taken with the milk and med. A glass of milk has
relatively little protein (though more LNAAs, proportionately, than
meat), so I wouldn't have thought protein would be a factor either. I'm
wondering if it might be some other factor unique to milk --the casein,
lactose, etc. -- that affects some people but not others.
--
Kathrynne Holden, MS, RD
Editor-in-Chief,