Bill Hipp asked:

Has anyone tried st johnwort herb, I remember reading that it increased
>dopamine in the brain.  Before starting sinemet & amantidine a yr or two
>ago I tried the herb & got a energizing, alertness response.

My local health food store was promoting a natural remedy marketed as
"Phytoproz" last summer, supposedly mimicing prozac but totally herbal, main
ingredient is St. John's Wort. I tried to research this on my own with
limited success, but a friend of mine who is a pharmacist finally produced a
fairly detailed article describing its action physiologically as an MAO
inhibitor. The article didn't describe what kind of  MAO inhibitor , A or B,
so I felt uncomfortable experimenting with it. (This from the woman who used
to eat bovine pancreas tissue in a desperate effort to feel normal before I
was diagnosed) Considering the dangers associated with demerol because of
its MAO inhibiting properties, I think you should be careful with St. John's
Wort until someone can clear up how it acts in the brain.

My 2 cents,

Kathie Tollifson