I apologise in advance for the length of this missive. I've been on
this listserve for a few weeks now and have gained invaluable
information. I joined on behalf of my brother who is not online and is
a couple hundred miles away in Southeast Texas. In a discussion with
him last weekend I learned that his PD is progressing more rapidly
than in the past few years.
He is currently being evaluated as a candidate for a unilateral pall-
idotomy by Dr. Grossman (in Houston?). With great effort, my brother
crosses his trembling fingers in hope of being accepted. I have also
become convinced by the testimonials seen here that it is the best
"treatment" currently available. However,(knew that was coming, didn't
you?) his wife is *very* UNconvinced.
Therefore, I'm writing to ask for post-pallidotomy observations from
those of you who would be kind enough to repeat your story one more
time.I'm hoping to find info from persons whose PD situation mirrors
his (age,etc.) as much as possible. I'll include as many of his
details as I can construct from memory.Please, feel free to send
replies directly to my personal email address:<[log in to unmask]>.
Details: age 42,diag.4yrs.,first symptoms appeared after shoulder
surgery @ age 36...tremor, right hand,now progrssed to extreme.
in the last two years,mild tremor in left hand,halting gait, chronic
fatigue etc. In the last month he has experienced some minor loss of
facial expression.
He has not had freezing, cramps or sleep loss.
When he was initially put on sinemet, the drug had no beneficial
effect but induced extreme drowsiness, making him unable to work.
Sinemet was discontinued after a short time (I don't know how short).
In recent months he has resumed sinemet (he is also taking eldyprel)
and it seems to be helping now.
I'm sorry I don't have more details such as dosages,etc.but I'll
obtain them if you have a request.
My goal here is to gain information to help all involved, including
the bad news, whatever that may be. Besides this plea, I have a few
questions:
Have any of you had any experience with Dr. Grossman?
What are the overall statistics for pallidotomy success e.g.
major/minor/no change ?
And now the one I would rather not ask:
Do you know of any deaths related (even indirectly) to pallidotomy?
Again I apologise for the length of this letter, thank you for
listening,                    Ricky Slaughter, [log in to unmask]