Stuart Tatum wrote:

> My father suffers from sever constipation as a result of his PD medication.> It is an ordeal for him and he takes many over the counter
remedies (Milk of> Magnesia, suppositories, etc.). Does anyone have any
recommendations for> something that may be easier on his system?

Nancy, you're quite right to be concerned. Long-term use of many
suppositories can actually worsen chronic constipation--a temporary
problem becomes permanent; milk of magnesia can also cause loss of
important electrolytes with extended use.

In addition to his medications, PD is very stressful, and stress can
also cause constipation.

Important considerations may be: plenty of fluids, at least 4-6 glasses
per day; regular exercise; a high-fiber diet. A remedy we often used in
the hospital was called a "prune juice cocktail." Mix about 1/2 cup
applesauce, 2-4 tablespoons miller's bran or Fiber One, and 4-6 ounces
of prune juice. The applesauce makes it more palatable; the prune juice
contains a natural laxative and also hydrates the bran, which forms bulk
in the colon.

If this does not work, he should DEFINITELY see his doctor for
appropriate stool softeners and laxatives. Self-medication will only
worsen his condition.

My July and August newsletters are on fiber, designed as companion
pieces to the June issue on water. Though the content is more general,
you may find something of interest. If you wish, I can e-mail you copies
when I release them.

Best regards,
--
Kathrynne Holden, MS, RD