Dear Mr. Anderson,

> As a result of some of some of my study, we have been using distilled
> water for drinking and cooking. Is this a good idea do you think? Is
>the loss of minerals a serious disadvantage do you think?

>From what I have observed on this list, people with PD appear to be at
increased risk for illness, in part due to the dietary changes they must
make to accommodate medications, and in part due to appetite loss, and
reactions to medications.

So, while I'm not aware of any current case of contaminated water in the
US, there certainly have been incidences in the past. As a precautionary
measure, I think it is a fine idea to use purified water. Although
distilling does remove minerals, these can easily be made up with a
balanced diet or, if necessary, supplements. I might add, this could be
the case for persons with compromised immune systems, infants, the
elderly, and those with chronic diseases besides PD.

Who know? if the threatened changes to our water supply indeed come to
pass, we may ALL be drinking distilled water one day!

I shall remit the June newsletter in a separate post, to your personal
address.

Best regards,
--
Kathrynne Holden, MS, RD