Eve, thank you very much for your posting.

My wife had a "P"  two weeks ago and although I had to pay in advance for the
surgery, we havent received an answer to our first appeal.  The ability to
make my plea came after an initial refusal and my subsequent letter to them,
90% of which was an explanation to them of how their financial participation
would eventually "save" the money.  The other 10% included a "quality of
life" issue,  a list of the hospitals throughout the USA and overseas
currently doing this op which was taken from the internet and an assortment
of postings specifically indicating which insurance companies picked it up.
 I DID NOT included those posting where it was indicated that the insurance
co. picked up only some of the costs.

(This is like listening to my wife tell me that she saved me money by buying
up a lot of goods at a sale)

It seemed to work because their initial refusal became a "possible coverage"
 based on two different medical reports:  one from her primary neurologist
giving her entire PD history and the other from the surgical team explaining
what the operation has done and  what it was intended to accomplish in
Joyce's particular case.   I saw them both and they couldnt be more clear
that this was no longer an experiment.  The titles of those signing the
letters were quite impressive.

Its now four weeks since they have been sent and I wait the mail each day.
 Of course Ill share the results immediately.

If I have to make another appeal, I am holding the AETNA statement of
coverage on behalf of 8 southern states where they are the MEDICARE carrier.
 I also hold a video history of Joyce and the immediate video results of the
Pallidotomy.

My question is:  WHEN the Udall bill is passed with funds for PD research and
funds for more surgical R&D how will it convenience these companies that the
surgical procedures now in place are NOT currently experimental.  With
success already documented but funds in place for more research,  wont this
strengthen the argument of the companies that it is still not an "approved"
procedure like a heart transplant..

Does the FDA have to issue an official paper to make a medical procedure
non-experimental????

Has the FDA ever indicated that a Pallidodomy is a viable PD alternative ?

What is the procedure declaring the Pallidotomy no longer investigational and
experimental.

Thank you for all your input.

Chuck Tames for my wife Joyce  PD/12years/Pallidotomy + 2 weeks.