To all New Yorkers,
   After all of our seemingly ignored letters and phone calls,
and all the negative comments from Senator Moynihan's staff,
it was great to hear that  he has become a co-sponsor. This
has taught me never to give up.
   We need to direct our efforts to Senator D'Amato now. I
called his office today, but they had no information to give
out. I was told to speak to Adam Chrisney, who is supposed
to be back in the office on Wednesday. The phone number is
202-224-6542, or you can use the toll free number for Congress,
1-800-962-3524.
   If the subject of disease specific funding or micromanagement

is brought up, you can point out that Senator D'Amato was
one of the people who was instrumental in getting $210 million
dollars added to the 1993 "Defense Department appropriations
bill for breast cancer research to be done by the Army" (1993
CQ Almanac, p. 361). Put in a positive way, this shows that
Senator D'Amato should understand the importance of increased
government funding for medical research for diseases that
have been underfunded in the past.
    Also some of the conservative, Republican Senators who
are co-sponsors include: Simpson, Cochran, Specter, Warner,
Santorum, McCain, Frist, Stevens. It might help to mention
some of these names.
    If anyone has other suggestions or ideas, please post
them to the list.

Linda Herman