I have been quietly monitoring the list serve for about 6 months.  I have
been diagnosed as PD for about 2 years.  The onset came after being exposed
to about one year of VERY HIGH STRESS work.  I changed job nine months ago
to another small company and much less stress in a rewarding position
managing an engineering field office.  That is background information for
what comes next.

In changing company, I announced to the owners that I had PD and I wanted to
make sure that the insurance company would underwrite my coverage.  The
company was The Fortis Company, St. Paul MN, and other than the usual 6
month waiting period for pre-existing conditions when a new employee is
added to an existing policy, all went well.

As an austerity move, my new employer recently changed carrier to the
Starmark Insurance Co. out of Lake Forest, IL.  In attempting to do the
right thing, the HR person informed Starmark that I have a pre-existing
condition.  Starmark requested all the doctor's records which amounted to my
evaluation visits and a MRI test.  My meds are Sinemet 25/100 and Elderpril
5mg 2x daily amounting to $200/months of prescription costs.  I'm 48 years
young, exercise two to three times per week and otherwise in excellent
health.  I don't see myself as an insurance risk.

The new carrier recently wrote a letter to my company benefits person and
informed them that they would have to pay $2,000 per month to include me in
their policy.  I was totally taken back by this position, let alone at the
new risk of losing my job when the company figures out that it will cost
them an additional $24,000 per year to keep me around.  I found a good job
with a friendly company, but like all businesses, they are in business for
profit, not just to keep me in a job.

Now the questions:
1.      Has anyone had a similar problem with their insurance carrier?
2.      Does anyone have any experience with insurance carriers segregating
PD patients from the list of those others with pre-existing conditions?
3.      Has anyone approached the insurance commissioners in their state
with a similar problem, and if so, what was the outcome?
4.      Is anyone knowledgeable of what protection may be available from the
American Disabilities Act for PD patients?

Thank you for putting up with my rambling.  This is a real-time job and
security concern for me.  I look forward to hearing what experiences others
of you may have had on this subject.

God Bless You.