Gayle,
Her doctor will want to check for conditions like cardiac arrhythmia,
congestive heart failure, and other conditions. I would not exclude
stress, panic or anxiety attacks, either--all can cause shortness of
breath.

I hope she will take with her all medications she is currently using,
including over-the-counter meds. It can also help greatly if a loved one
or neighbor goes with her--sometimes in the stress of a doctor visit, we
forget some important points.
--
Kathrynne Holden, MS, RD
Editor-in-Chief,