>Greetings,
>Ivan Suzman wrote:
>>I am interested in trying NADH, but the B.U. people advised me that there is
>>not enough known about NADH yet, for me to try it with their guidance.
>
>With the enormous threat of legal action for malpractice you will rarely
>find any mainstream healthcare professional that will tell you to take NADH
>or any other non-FDA approved medicine, herb, supplement, etc. Our feeling
>is the neuros can do their job but in reality, mainstream medicine does have
>limitations. It is our responsibility, as the patient and 'our own best
>friend' to 'pick up' where mainstream medicine leaves off. NADH is not a
>secretive potion; it's been around for a long time and is used by many.
>Certainly in an 'ideal world' there could and should be further testing by
>the FDA however, Jeff is only 45, our kids are only 12 and 9 with baseball
>games to go to, tennis with our daughter, family picnics for us to go on,
>etc; I guess we just decided that we can't wait for the FDA.
>
>>Will anyone using NADH please share their therapeutic experiences-positive or
>>negative??
>
>Jeff (45/7) began taking NADH last August after fatigue had become a major
>problem. He was hardly able to function for a few hours at a time without
>needing to 'rest' and even then he was always tired. Within 2 weeks of
>starting the NADH, his energy was 'normal'. The tremors were noticeably
>reduced although that varies now. After 7 years he still can play tennis,
>golfs, swims, helps me run a business and teaches 4 classes at a local
>college. He has his problems; he's slow and there is some tremor;
>handwriting is becoming 'micro' but overall, after 7 years we feel he's
>doing exceptionally well. Is it the NADH alone? No, we feel it is a
>combination of the meds from the neuro, vitamins, herbs, diet, exercise and
>NADH. We know NADH will not work for everyone. It seem to us that NADH is
>not as effective with people who fall, for example but of course, those are
>our own unscientific obervations.
>It is expensive, Jeff takes 10 mgs daily with orange juice, but he wouldn't
>consider giving it up.
>
>We feel confident that a breakthrough is in our future but until that time
>PD will progress in Jeff only with the most fierce fight we can give it.
>
>Best regards to all,
>Lisa Carper
>--

Reply from Steven E. Mayer (e-mail:[log in to unmask];6-6-96
to Lisa et al. re NADH for treatment of PD. I councel extreme caution,
Although side-effects appear to be minimum, it is unjusified overenthusiasm
that is the danger here: folks becoming overwhelmed by the publicity,
especially from its manufacturer and the fact that NADH,or rather one of its
metabolic product in the body, known as ubiquinone, has a very important
role in the utilisation of oxygen (O2) and hydrogen ion (H+)for the
synthesis of proteins, maintaining the integritiy of cell membranes and the
functions of neurons, and many other cell types and functions that are
potential site for the unknown substances that bring about PD.
                          Here are my reservations:
1) NADH is very poorly and slowly absorbed from the g.i. tract; probably no
inact drug would get to an intracellular site of action (whatever that may
be). Many attempts have been made to synthesize better-absorbed substitutes,
but without success based on my reading the scientific literature.
2) I have reservations about the way NADH is advertised: it is not based on
publications in major medical and biochemical literature.There is alot of
hype associated. If NADH were as effective as some have claimed it would
have gotten intensive attention of highly competent biochemists.
3) The manufacturer of NADH who sells to the public charges outrageous
prices, about 100 dolllars per 25 mg. Sigma Chemical Co, the largest
supplierer of NADH in the world charges $53/gram. The catch is that I doubt
if the Company would want to get into the business of sale and promotion of
pharmaceuticals. The cost of federal regulations and potential legal actions
are probably too high. I don't know. Call and find out.
4)What gives me the right to make such critcisms? I have done biochemical
researech with NADH and analoges for 40 years. The results from experiments
in cell culture and tissue pieces have lead to fascinating results on the
role of ubiquinone and NADH in the vitality of muscle, heart and brain
cells, but gave no encouragement to their use as orally effective drugs.
Don't get discouraged either; someone will make a breakthrough with patience
and hard work. We Pders know about that.
        With best regards.
        Steven E, Mayer