Some time ago I posted a couple notes telling about my mother and how we
were going to see Dr. Sutton of Kaiserin LA for a consultation re.
pallidotomy/meds. My mother is a member of Kaiser in LA and her regular
neurologist was hoping to get some more feedback, info, input on her
situation. The visit with Dr. Sutton, altho somewhat discouraging, was
educational to us as he pointed out he thought she had a difficultlt combo
of symptoms, namely, severe dystonia, rigidity/bradykinesia, and
akathenesia(sp?). He said he would recommend meds for the cramping amongst
other things.
Unfortunately now a month or so later her doctor finally received the
report and he himself was dissappointed. The report was inaccurate, stating
she was taking 3 Prozac a day (quite untrue) and had no recommendations for
medication and said she was not a candidate for the surgery because she has
hallucinations. None of this seemed to coincide with what he had told us,
which i remember very clearly. Her regular doctor was also very upset that
Sutton saw her without having seen her records and then did not even get
them supposedly til weeks later. I don't know what exactly happened.
The whole situation was very sad, for in the mean time she gets cramped
every couple hours.
Well, I only write this because I guess there could be many reasons for a
second consultation to go awry, but it certainly seems wrong.
Now (and yes, Bev if you are reading this, thank you for the advice!) she
has an appt. outside of Kaiser (unfortunately it will now come out of their
pockets) with Dr. Cheryl Waters at USC. I am very glad my parents are
branching out and continuing to look for more input. Pallidotomy aside, my
mother definitely needs help with her meds. She takes too much Sinemet, has
too much cramping and is too depressed. She talks suicidal.
Any input from anyone is always greatly appreciated.
debbie