>From Jim Stokes   jupiterjim@aol

I have been a "lurker" here for a year and a half and have accumulated four
floppies worth of information about Parkinson's , one of which is dedicated
to pallidotomy and its results. I have privately contacted people on this
list for some reason or other but I never have contributed.

I am a 58 year old who was diagnosed in 1987, after trying hypnotism  and
acupuncture to eliminate a tremor on my right side because I was to young to
have Parkinson's. I started taking Sinemet fairly quickly to control the
tremors, since I am still  employed . I required 4-5 CR 50/200 and a couple
25/100's to keep them under control. I have endured what you have endured,
shaking so much that a fork flew out of my hand in a restaurant, unable to
sign my name to a contract to buy a car (stress), etc. The little "monkey" on
my back had grown into a gorilla.

The WSJ article on 2/22/95 started my search for solution  through
pallidotomy. I wrote to Loma Linda and Emory , receiving encouragement from
both. I responded to California , sending video and was put on the list. I
signed up for America on Line in order to enroll in this list server and go
into the internet to obtain info from various  parkinson sites . There is a
wealth of information out there.

As time passed, more facilities began to offer the procedure. In Florida
there are now 5 places that conduct pallidotomies, one within 20 miles of me.
The neurosurgeon, a classmate of Dr. Ianoco, has been very successful with
those his team have conducted. I spent time with an acquaintance before and
after he had the operation here and the difference was amazing. So, I decided
to have the procedure conducted in the Sunshine state.

Since I am working for a corporation which provides "managed" medical care to
its employees, I spent the last year and a half educating  the administrating
insurance company  and unloosen the grip they had on the money. It took
intervention by the chief executive officer of our large conglomerate to put
pallidotomy on the list of covered procedures. The  insurance company will
save money in the long run, since they also provide our disability coverage
which I will not now need.

I don't know  what started the decline in dopamine production. I am not
diabetic. My wife of 35 years and chief caregiver suspects that chemicals in
paint remover used in a furniture refinishing project about 25 years ago
started the decline.

So Thursday , May 30, I had a unilateral pallidotomy on my left brain. I was
groggy through most of it but I responded to the surgeons questions.  I
recall sneezing 4-5 times, I believe when the probe was in,  which I didn't
do before or after.

It was a complete success, my tremoring, flopping right arm is dead still. I
still have a slight tremor on my left side, which will increase with time.
Maybe new procedures will be discovered before this reaches an unacceptable
condition.

I am now determining how much and when medication should be taken to control
the left side.  It has been a long time since I felt this good.