   Constipation

 Na> My father suffers from sever constipation as a result of his PD
 Na> medication. It is an ordeal for him and he takes many over the counter
 Na> remedies (Milk of Magnesia, suppositories, etc.). Does anyone have any
 Na> recommendations for something that may be easier on his system?

Hello Nancy,

Both Parkinson's organizations have PD dietary books out, that you
may like to read.

For the constipation, go to a HIGH FIBER diet with a stool softener
such as DSS at Longs Drugs.  I use tomato paste as a vegetable
for my father who had problems chewing, and needed soft foods.
I saute up a batch with Basil in a little olive oil.  I buy the
7 lb cans at CosCo.  I then serve it as if it were mashed potatoes,
or refried beens etc.  Just as a clump on the plate.

Put Bran in the breakfast cerial helpings.
Metamucil was added on the doc's orders.
Prune juice helps, and he likes it.
The DSS stool softener (250 mg daily) is necessary to keep things
from binding up.
That amount of fiber just pushes through, even with weak
intestinal muscle action.  The stool softener is a necessary part
of the program for my Dad.
The laxatives and enemas are to be avoided for several reasons.

Don

... [log in to unmask]; 1:125/104; BBS (415)459-4503 10PM-7AM PDT
___ Blue Wave/386 v2.30 [NR]