Here is a list of Senators who  from what we know should be
sympathetic toward the Udall bill.  WE have 40 Official.
Inhof(OK), and  Johnson(LA) are supposed to sign on.  Mosley-Braun(IL)
and Heflin(AL)  are close.  If we get 51 this asures passage as a
stand alone bill (not part of NIH reauthorization).   Lets get it
done!

1.  Daniel Akaka (D-HI) -- Only member of HI delegation (all Dem.'s) not to
cosponsor.
Unaware of any specific objection -- assume just hasn't been pressed.

2.  Max Baucus (D-MT) -- MT's At Large Rep., Pat Williams (D) is on.  Unaware
of specific objection.  I've been advised by DC advocate that "work is being
done" on Baucus, and they expect him to sign.  More pressure would help.

3.  John Breaux (D-LA) -- Sits on Special Committee on Aging, where Joan
Samuelson (PAN Pres.) will be testifying on biomedical research Wednesday,
6/12.  LA's other Sen., J. Bennett Johnston (D) just signed on, but to date
none of the Rep.'s have.  Unaware of any specific objections, we're just
short on advocates in LA, and need to pressure the delegation.

4.  Richard Bryan (D-NV) -- Sen. Harry Reid (D-NV) is on, but not the rest of
the NV
delegation.  Unaware of any specific objection, just short of NV advocates.

5.  Dale Bumpers (D-AR) -- On Appropriations Committee, where Joan Samuelson
will be testifying Wed., 6/12.  Sen. Pryor (D) is on, but not rest of AR
delegation.  Unaware of any specific objection, just need more Razerback
support.

6.  Robert C. Byrd (D-WV) -- Ranking Dem. on Appropriation (hearing 6/12).
 May be a
little touchy about issue given his physical problems.  Sen. Rockefeller (D)
is on, as is one of three WV Rep.'s (all Dem.'s).  Not a lot of advocates in
WV, but PAN working delegation.  Need more support.

7.  Kent Conrad (D-ND) -- Entire ND delegation is Dem., but none on the bill.
 Unaware of specific objection, just a lack of ND advocates.  Need more
support.

8.  Byron Dorgan (D-ND) -- Same as Sen. Conrad.  Need support here.

9.  J. James Exon (D-NE) -- Sen. Bob Kerrey (D) is on, as is one of two NE
Rep.'s (both
Rep.'s).  Sen. Exon says he's supportive but won't cosponsor until it gets
out of committee.  He knows of the bill, and we've got some active people in
NE, but a little nudge would help.

10.  Russell D. Feingold (D-WI) -- Of the 11 members of the WI delegation,
only Rep.
Kleczka (D) is cosponsor.  Unaware of any reservations, just need some active
people in WI.

11.  Bob Graham (D-FL) -- Neither FL Senator, and very few of the FL Rep.'s
are on.
Unaware of any specific objections.  Need advocates in FL, and to coordinate
with NPF.

12.  Howell Heflin (D-AL) -- Neither AL Sen. is on, but 6 of 7 Rep.'s are.
 PAN had
productive meeting with Thad Hugely, Heflin's Health LA during Forum, where
no specific objections were voiced.  Active person in AL, trying to get Univ.
of A.B. involved -- Heflin loves UAB.  PAN to follow up, but any help is
good.

13.  John F. Kerry (D-MA) -- Sen. Kennedy (D) is on, as are 5 of 10 Rep.'s.
 Unaware of any objections.  We have active people in MA, but we need more
help

14.  Herbert Kohl (D-WI) -- Sits on both Appropriations and Aging Committees.
 Unaware of any objections.  Must get to him before and after hearing (6/12),
and get him on board. We need help in WI.

15.  Carl Levin (D-MI) -- Neither MI Senator on bill, and only 5 of 16
Rep.'s.  Unaware of
any objections.  PAN in touch with MI support groups, but they need to get
more active, and we need more help there.

16.  Joseph Lieberman (D-CT) -- Sen. Dodd (D) on bill, as are 3 of 6 Rep.'s.
Unaware of any objections.  Some active people in New England States, but
Lieberman should be on board, so we need some help.

17.  Carol Moseley-Braun (D-IL) -- Sen. Simon (D) on bill, but only 5 of 20
Rep.'s.  Lots of contact with Sen. Moseley-Braun's office, and latest word is
that the Health LA is
recommending she sign on to bill.  Unaware of any objections, and PAN expects
her to sign on, but any help is good.

18.  Patty Murray (D-WA) -- On Appropriations.  Sen. Gorton (R) is on bill,
but only 1 of 9 Rep.'s.  Has expressed some reservations with earmarking, but
PAN and others have had a lot contact with Murray's Health LA, Susan Joseph,
and PAN is confident she'll sign on.  Any help will be good.

19.  Sam Nunn (D-GA) -- Sen. Coverdell (R) and 6 of 11 Rep.'s are on.
 Unaware of any
specific objections.  Active people in GA are confident Sen. Nunn will sign
on.  PAN will
work on him, but any help is good.

20.  Charles S. Robb (D-VA) -- Sen. Warner (R) and 5 of 11 Rep.'s are on.
 Reservations
about earmarking, but lots of VA activists are working hard to convince him.
 Any help
would be good.

21.  Ron Wyden (D-OR) -- Sen. Hatfield (R) is bill's author and 2 of 5 Rep.'s
are on.  Sen. Wyden has expressed reservations about earmarking.  PAN
contacting Wyden, and OR support groups are getting more active.  PAN is
hopeful, but needs help.