>1)  Regarding absorption from oral doses, Birkmayer of Austria, who seems to
>be the main proponent of this therapy, published some articles which claim
>that oral administration was quite effective for his patients-as effective as
>intravenous injections.
>
>2) Birkmayer has published a number of articles in foreign medical journals
>describing his work with NADH.
>
>3)  The price is outrageously high, but at $69 for 30x5mg-the price
>obtainable from Lisa Carper's pharmacist in PA, I calculate the price to be
>$11.50 per 25 mg not $100.00 as you stated.  The new price from Life
>Extension in Florida is $24 for  30x5mg (with 25% member's discount) or $4.00
>per 25 mg.
>
>Menuco Corp. claims a U.S. patent(5,332,727) for their form of NADH which
>they call "Enada".  The source of Life Extension's at the new lower price is
>unknown to me.  Could this patented form be more effective than normal NADH?
>
>Without further tests, the answers to many of our questions are just not
>available now.  I am skeptical too, but its hard to ignore Birkmayer's work
>in Austria with hundreds of PD patients especially when one obtains
>therapuetic effects on an individual trial basis.  What's a new PD patient to
>do?
>
>Further comments on this subject would be most appreciated.
>
>Regards to all,
>
>Fred Schaffert (53/1)
>
>Reply to Fred Schaffert regarding possible deficienies in the evaluation of
NADH for the treatment of PD.
  Fred: Your reply is an example of what occurs so frequently when opinions
are expressed regarding a controversial drug. Alot of work will be needed
before any clear-cut conclusions may be drawn. That is very expensive
research; it is difficult to find drug companies, not to mention individual
investigators, who have the funds and the facilities to be willing to make a
major commitment.
        With regards to the absorption of NADH from the g.i. tract: I have
checked the literature carefully. In fact I was a postdoctoral fellow with
O.H.Lowry when he demonstrated the very rapid (less than a
second)acid-catalyzed hydrolysis of NADH. This method is the first step in
the removal of NADH from biological extracts for assay of related
substances. Also, NADH added to extracts of liver, muscle, brain. etc.is
used as a reagent for assaying the NADH, because it is so rapidly converted.
The possibility that Sigma handed out the wrong stuff is very unlikely.That
company developed the large scale extraction, making NADH available to
Cori,Kornberg and other biochemists, which they used in the Nobel Prize
research.
        Sorry for my verbosity; best regards,         Steven