Hello all,

Thought everybody might be interested in a press report by the Science
Editor of the UK based Daily Telegraph. Margaret Tuchman has already sent in
details from her own source but thought I would send what I read for anyone
who missed it, and to confirm her report in different words.  I haven't any
fancy scanner gear (yet) so will retype the article which is as follows:

-------------------------------------

HOPE FOR VICTIMS OF PARKINSON'S IN FAMILY OF DRUGS

A family of drugs has been developed that can repair damaged nerves and
shows early promise in treating animals with Parkinson's disease.

The drugs, called neuroimmunophilin compounds, are small molecules that can
be taken orally, said Dr Craig Smith, president of Guildford
Pharmaceuticals, Baltimore, Maryland.

They enter the nervous system and the brain.

After the early stages of human development, the nervous system loses most
of its ability to repair itself.

"We have happened upon a mechanism that somehow must be involved in turning
that capability back on," said Dr Smith.

The small molecules can, at low concentrations, stimulate repair of a wide
range of nerve cell types, with no effect on normal nerves, in test-tube
studies.  "We are very encouraged by these findings," he said.

In tests on rats suffering from Parkinson's disease, the drugs stimulated
and protected nerves in part of the brain that normally deteriorates.

Other studies showed that they can regenerate the insulation around a nerve,
the kind of damage that is caused by multiple sclerosis.

"We are very excited about the findings but we have not yet conducted
experiments in models of multiple sclerosis," said Dr Smith.  "It is
promising but we are in the course of doing those experiments."

The developers now want to investigate the value of the compounds in
treating motor neuron disorders and diseases such as Alzheimer's.  Dr Smith
said trials on patients were expected in "a year or two".

The compounds were discovered by scientists investigating the effect on the
nervous system of drugs such as cyclosporin that are used to prevent
rejection of transplanted organs.

However, unlike their much larger parent compounds, the new family does not
damp down the body's protective immune system, said Dr Smith.

Hope you find this encouraging.

Keep up all your good work and stay hopeful

Regards,

Ernie, (53, PD 2.5 yrs diag)
Ernie Peters ([log in to unmask])