        There is benefit in those interested in HD throwing in their support
for PD research funding: those in Congress become aware of a greater
constituency served.   Whether that appeals to their noble or magnanimous
sides or to the more utilitarian prospect of additional re-election voters,
it doesn't matter so long as the upshot is more useful research performed.
        Below is the response I received today from a Senator representing
Montana.

_________________________________
>Subject: S.684
>Author:  Jim Hyland <[log in to unmask]> at Internet
>Date:    6/12/96 12:00 PM
>

>To: [log in to unmask]
>From: Jim Hyland <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: S.684
>
>        I have a daughter with Huntington's Disease (HD).   There is an
>immense amount of overlap between HD and Parkinson's Disease (PD.)   Both
>are neurodegenerative disorders.   HD involves selective cell death of the
>striatal neurons in the brain and PD occurs when nerve cells in the area of
>the brain known as the substantia nigra die or become impaired.
>        The two diseases are both chronic, meaning they persist over a long
>period of time, and progressive, meaning the symptoms grow worse over time.
>
>        The purpose of this message is to get you interested in supporting
>S.684 which will fund PD research.   HD would greatly benefit indirectly
>from any advances made in pallidotomy procedures or fetal cell
>transplantation or dozens of other area to be researched with this new
>funding.   What's good for PD will almost inevitably be good for HD.
>
>        $$   Investment in medical research is one of the most effective
>ways to reduce long term health care costs.   $$

                             TRW Spacecraft Operations East
                                    14320 Sullyfield Circle
                                         Chantilly VA 22021
                                             (703) 802-1863