Bob, ( Can't tell which Bob i am replying to.)

Pallidotomy recovery time is quite unique. After the first side was
done, Nancy got up from bed, in the ICU, 2 hours after surgery and
walked without any PD meds. She was released to go home two days later.
We went straight from the hospital to the putting green at the golf
course and she was able to hold the putter and put very well without
any dykinesia. All these events were extremely important to the two of
us. Psychologically  we new there was reason to be optomistic about the
future.

Real recovery time takes six to eight weeks for brain swelling to
settle back to normal. Fatigue will last much longer many months. In
general this was a good sign for Nancy. It was as if she was catching
up on years of missed sleep. For Nancy just about all benefits were
immediate. Dyskenisia was eliminated, tremor was reduced sleep time for
both of us was increased, ability to move in bed was greatly enhanced
but required considerable relearning on how to move and get up by her
self.

Nancy's second pallidotomy was six weeks after the first. We rushed it
because her torso while no longer showing bilateral dyskenisia was
twisted because the unoperated side was still pulling on her muscle
structure. After the second surgery, Nancy was released the next day
directly from the ICU to go home. She was able to walk, talk, dress and
put on her make up before the doctor arrived at the hospital the next
morning. It was really impressive. Again six weeks for the swelling to
go down and more fatique for a few months. Driving to events that were
close to the house resumed fairly quickly. Three months after the
surgery Nancy played 18 wholes of golf using the Parkinson short course
rules. This had not been possible for nearly ten years.

As I have previouly reported, these great and clearly observable
benefits while boarding on the miraculous have not been without pain
and lifestyle readjustment. Back, leg and hip pain have intermittently
appeared and created physical as well as psychological problems. The
desire to be "cured"  is a powerful force but the surgery is not a
cure. We have sailed through rough seas and I believe we still have
many storms to face but through all of it Nancy would not hesitate to
do it again.

Our latest bout with depression and insomnia was very difficult for
both of us but once again we seem to have weathered the storm. While
Nancy remains on close medical supervision, she did manage to play some
golf today and hit several good shots and plenty of bad ones, but she
did it and thats what counts.

The post pallidotomy emotional roller coaster for Nancy has been
rougher than the actual recovery from the physical aspects of the
surgery. Our relationship is going through a significant change. For
nine months there was new independence for Nancy everyday. But during
the last three as depression and insomnia set in, I became the "old"
caregiver and found myself needing a caregiver to help me through this
torturous time.

The one old PD symptom that is still troubling is the "off"  times.
There has not been any consistent pattern of improvement yet. On the
other hand we have been adjusting meds for a year trying to find the
optimal doasage of everything and we still have a ways to go.

This is a long answer to a short question. Hope it is useful.

Nancy has had PD 21years and is 51.