[log in to unmask] wrote:
> I have put on a good deal of weight.   This is
> NOT due to being home and taking my frustrations out of the fridge,  (I cant> even get to it).
>
>  I tried LASIX but it was no good becauz it increased the

Joyce,
I'll help if I can, though it sounds to me as if you're doing a very
good job already. I quite agree, weight gain is not due to overeating,
this is a common misconception.  I have a few questions, though, and you
are welcome to e-mail me privately, or to use the "lifestyle analysis"
form at my website. (If so, be sure to mention the PD listserv, as there
is a charge otherwise.)

1) Do I understand correctly that you are post-pallidotomy? If so, this
can slow metabolism. I know this sounds like a lot of hooey, but in fact
the brain is the repository of connections that regulate metabolism, and
the pallidotomy can alter its functions, especially since PD often
causes greater caloric expenditure than normal.

2) A dietitian's tools are more abstract than those of a doctor or
nurse. I need to know age, height, weight, recent weight changes (amount
lost or gained within the last year, esp. last 6 months); preferably
blood pressure and serum cholesterol; and portion sizes of food eaten,
as well as medications used.

3) amount of physical activity in a typical week.

You've given me good reports on food, activity, and meds, esp. reference
to lasix. The rest can be transmitted privately if you wish.

My comments so far:

1) increased leg cramps with use of lasix makes me wonder if you're
getting enough potassium (lasix is potassium-wasting, potassium
deficiency can contribute to cramping). Have you asked your dr. about
potassium supplements?

2) Are you getting plenty of water? Depending on the time frame of
weight gain, some of it could be water retention. In this case,
potassium is important, and so is plenty of fluid. When we don't get
enough fluid, our body hangs on to every bit it can get, and can
actually cause some swelling. It's possible to have both dehydration and
edema simultaneously. Unless your dr. says otherwise, I'd be sure to get
4-8 glasses of water daily, besides other liquids.

Also, sodium can add to water retention. It does not appear to me that
sodium is a factor from what you list as daily diet. But it could be
worth checking. Sodium and potassium work together to maintain fluid
balance, and what usually happens is we get an excess of sodium (leading
to fluid retention) and too little potassium (needed for fluid
excretion).

3) You mention some "freezing" so I'm not sure about the duration of
your meds, or protein distribution. It appears that you get the bulk of
your protein in the evening. If possible, therefore, I'd suggest you
break up your food intake into 3 small meals and 2 snacks daily. This
allows better utilization of food, with less stored as fat. This may not
be possible if protein interference is too great.

4) Your portion sizes sound about right, depending on your height and
weight. I think you might increase use of vegetables and fruits, they
are sources of potassium, as well as many of the antioxidants and
phytochemicals that will protect your heart. It does not appear that you
are getting enough servings, unless your noontime salad is very large.

I'd be very sure to get at least two fruit servings and 3 veg servings
every day. Malnutrition can lead to complicating chronic diseases, such
as hypertension, heart disease, and diabetes, and these will create the
need for further medications--and more complications.

If you send me your height and weight, I can determine your calorie and
protein needs, and suggest a menu plan that may help. Good for you for
exercising when possible--nutrition and exercise go hand-in-hand, for
health, weight control, well-being, balance and flexibility, and help
with the complications of PD. You are clearly well-informed and
proactive and have taken control of your life. I wish many of my clients
who constantly complain could read the postings on this list!

--
Kathrynne Holden, MS, RD
Editor-in-Chief,