Helen, we have found through the years a few tricks to help our "parky"
dad get moving.  One is to place your foot directly in front of his so he
has to step over it.  At night my mom would often place a white sock on
 the floor by the bed.  When he got up he could see it there and also step
over it.  His balance is very bad now, so he doesn't attempt that trick at
night any more.  He also has no problem going up and down stairs.  It seems
to be the raising of the leg that gets him going.  Good luck.  Marcia