Try taking one step back before going forward, or if you want to go to
the right, take one step to the left first, etc.  Wrong Way First, we
call it.

Also try lifting your knee up to tap it with your hand, then step forward.

Or, start a little song, a marching ditty, then step off on the beat.

John Argue
Movement and Voice Teacher