To:  William Bacovin

<<I was just diagnosed withPD.  | would like any information on any
alternative methods of treatment.
Sincerely,
William Bacovin>>

We found this article on NADH and offer it for your review:

People with Parkinson's disease stop trembling, people with Alzheimer's
disease stop forgetting, and everybody else gets a quick pick-me-up from
fatigue - all with a new natural substance that excites me more than any
other discovery in the past decade.
Robert C. Atkins, MD, "Dr. Atkins' Health Revelations", Vol. III, Number 6,
June 1995

Dr. Atkins continues,

You probably haven't heard of NADH, also called Coenzyme 1, but you
will.  This enzyme is the stored form of energy in every cell in our bodies,
and it's now available - without prescription - as a supplement.

NADH is more effective against Parkinson's disease than the standard
treatment, L-dopa.  And it's the only promising therapy I see for the
heretofore incurable Alzheimer's.  As use and research grow, the first
governmentally sanctioned clinical test in the US is expected to begin later
this year (1995).  I'm convinced it will become par for the course in
alleviating depression, fatigue and even minor mental sluggishness.

Parkinson's Potion?

I was already well-informed about NADH when Georg Birkmayer, MD, the
world's chief NADH researcher came to the Foundation for the
Advancement of Innovative Medicine symposium in March (1995).  But
even I was taken aback when Birkmayer, director of the Birkmayer Institute
for Parkinson's Therapy in Vienna, played a videotape of three of his
patients before and after treatment with NADH.

If you've ever watch a Parkinson's patient shuffle hesitantly across a room
with arms trembling and head wobbling, you'll know what we saw on the
tape before NADH was administered.  Several hours after receiving
NADH, the same people were shown getting up with relative ease and
walking briskly.  The only difference was NADH.

Since 1988, Birkmayer and his father, Walter Birkmayer, MD, have used
NADH to treat more than 885 people with Parkinson's disease.  Eighty
percent of those people showed moderate to excellent improvements in
their disability (Acta Neurologica Scandinavia, 1993; 87 [Suppl 146]:32-
35).  The younger Birkmayer believes that most of the people who didn't
improve had advanced arteriosclerosis that prevented the coenzyme from
reaching the brain.

Far more important than the initial improvements is that those people have
not deteriorated at all in the years since NADH treatments began.  Most of
them have been able to discontinue or decrease their use of L-dopa.

Alzheimer's Advance

Until Birkmayer began giving NADH to a smaller group of people with
Alzheimer's disease, no glimmer of hope existed in the treatment of this
dreaded destroyer of memory.  Since Alzheimer's and Parkinson's share
many biochemical similarities, including an Alzheimer's-like dementia in
the later stages of Parkinson's, Birkmayer decided to test NADH against
Alzheimer's.

All of the 17 people with Alzheimer's who received supplements of the
coenzyme showed significant improvements on standard memory test,
according to unpublished test results.  And for the past two years, further
brain deterioration has been stopped in its tracks.

Free from Fatigue

And now for the rest of us.  I can't state it any more simply than this:
Supplements of NADH increase your energy levels.

Evidence so far suggests that NADH will become a safe, commonly used
supplement to relieve depression, memory lapses, and concentration
difficulties.  People with family histories of Alzheimer's might want to
consider taking NADH to prevent mental deterioration.

The case history below offers a good example of NADH's benefits and
illustrates a guiding principle in its use:  The dose is critical to the result.

Based on what's happened with many of my patients who turned to NADH
in search of their misplaced energy, people don't start to feel better until
they take the dosage that's right for their own bodies.

If you take too little, you won't notice anything.  If you take too much,
you'll become hyperactive and won't be able to fall asleep easily.  If
someone doesn't derive an energy boost from an initial (serving) every
other day, I advise him or her to gradually increase the dose until he or she
becomes sleepless or restless, then decrease to a slightly lower amount.

If the lower dose doesn't enhance energy - and there have been few of my
patients for whom it has not - then you can conclude that NADH doesn't
work for you.  But the vast majority of my patients have enjoyed a
significant boost in vigor.

Secret to the Success

While NADH (short for nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide) is one of the
critical chemical stages in the process by which our bodies create energy,
this action probably is not the main reason for its remarkable impact on
Parkinson's and Alzheimer's.  In the brain, it increases the production of
dopamine, the neurochemical responsible for coordination and control of
movements.  People with Parkinson's disease have damage to a portion of
the brain's basal ganglia ,which causes a shortage of dopamine.

So far, doctors have treated Parkinson's with the drug L-dopa, which the
body converts to dopamine.  However, direct L-dopa therapy usually
becomes less effective as the years pass, and is often ends up damaging the
brain.  So the prognosis for people with Parkinson's has been fairly grim.

NADH, though, increases the body's own natural production of dopamine,
according to Birkmayer and an independent research team at the University
of Paris.

In Alzheimer's, the dopamine increase and a boost in another brain
chemical, noradrenaline, combine with NADH's productions of energy to
somehow protect the neural pathways in the brain, believes Dr. Birkmayer.
This stops further brain damage.

I hope this helps

Best Regards,
Jeff LaBar ([log in to unmask])