>Steve and all,
>Your question brings up something I've wanted very much to ask people on
>this list about.
>
>A couple of months ago Ed's doctor prescribed amitriptyline for him, as
>he does not have tremors but has *much* pain, especially in the mornings,
>along with stiffness.  (He had already been on Sinimet, permax and
>eldepryl for three years).
>
>He hasn't taken any yet, as he's somewhat reluctant to, so I don't know
>if they'll work...but here's my question:  I've been reading some about
>the disorder Fibromyalgia (or fibrositis, its new 90's name) and
>discovered this amitriptyline is the drug given for that disorder, as it
>promotes "deep" muscle-restorative sleep.  It's about the only effective
>drug for fibromyalgia patients.
>
>Has anyone on this list had any experience with getting incorrectly
>diagnosed with Parkinson's Disease, when, in fact, they had
>fibromyalgia?  Or vice versa?
>
>Ed's symptoms sure fit the fibromyalgia syndrome more than PD.
>
>If anyone knows about *both* these disorders, please let me know what you
>know.  Thanks.
>
>Linda Breedlove (for Ed: 49/dx. 3 yrs) e-mail:

Linda - Your post did not indicate how much Amitriptyline Ed is taking. It
is often given in small doses, eg, 25 mgm./d, for relief of unusual pain.
These are not the doses necesswary to combat depression. Since it induces
drowsiness, it is usually given at night. It is not an immediate pain
reliever like aspirin or Tylenol; rather, it takes a certain period to
build up to effectiveness. My wife, 76/10+, takes 25 mgm. every night.
Whether it helps her pain or not is somewhat uncertain.
      Re the possible confusion in diagnosis, it does not seem likely to me
that the two would be confused. The most specific test, though, would be:
Did he respond favorably to Sinemet? There is no reason to expect
fibromyalgia to make such a response.

                       Regaards  ---   Bob Howard

Bob Howard, occasionally knowm formally as:
Robert B. Howard
1320 Wisconsin St., Apt. 411
Hudson, WI 5401
CG for Lorraine 76/10+
e-mail <[log in to unmask]>        New address as of 5/3/96
Voice phone: (715) 386-3596
FAX: (715) 386-8589                    Manual reception, requires phone
call.