You wrote:

>Hi!
>
>Just wondering if anybody out there knows anything about this drug.
My
>father (who has Parkinson's) has the option of taking this drug, but
my
>mother would like me to find out about any side effects or how
effective
>it is?
>
>Thanks

Artane is an old drug which was used extensively in the treatment of PD
before the advent of L-DOPA.  It helps mostly tremor and it is an
"anticholinergic", which has, as side-effects, dry mouth, occasionally
constipation and blurriness of vision; and, for older men with prostate
problems, can occasionally cause urinary retention.  The latter effects
are rare but can happen.

These types of drugs (including Cogentin, which is another such) can be
helpful in patients with mainly tremor and who have "escaped" the
effects of L-DOPA, but they are no longer used as primary treatment in
PD.

Best,

Bob
--

Robert A. Fink, M. D., F.A.C.S.   Phone: 510-849-2555
Neurological Surgery              FAX:  510-849-2557

E-Mail:  [log in to unmask]
World Wide Web:  <http://www.dovecom.com/rafink/>

CompuServe:  72303,3442
America Online:  BobFink          "Ex Tristitia Virtus"