> Dear Pam:  We "corresponded" with Dick and Iris for almost a year,
> and we, too, hope for a cure for SDS and other similar diseases very
> soon.  I believe you are also on the PD listserve.  Have you been
> following their lobbying for the Udall Bill for Neurological
> Research that would benefit not only PD, but also SDS, ALS, MS and
> all the ataxias as well. Sure hope all you folks in the USA are
> doing your VERY BEST to get the Udall Bill through Congress!!

>From one who is in DC this week trying to help to get the Udall bill
passed, let me share a little story that happened today.  If we can
arrange it, we meet with each congressman personally.  Today, for one
of the meetings, this was not possible, so we were instead meeting
with one of the congressman's aides.

Usually my first question is, "Do you know anyone with Parkinson's
disease?"  For some reason, at this meeting I didn't ask the
question, but instead launched right into the spiel about what the
bill is, how important it is, etc.

The aide was listening with much interest, and perhaps I was
congratulating myself for being so persurasive.  But at her first
opportunity to speak she said, "You can count on the congressman's
support.  My father was diagnosed with PD two years ago, but was not
responding well to the medications.  We recently took him to the
Mayo Clinic where he was diagnosed with something called Shy Drager.
What can you tell me about that condition?"

Best,

Margaret Monty