I recently returned from Providence, RI where my son received a MA from Brown
University.  It was a windy and rainy day in the San Francisco Bay Area when
I returned.  My wife and I were sitting at the kitchen table getting caught
up on happenings when we started to hear, plop, plop, plop, plop - that all
to familiar sound of water dripping.  Looking closer, sure enough, water was
dripping from the ceiling fan.  There wasn’t much we could do that night
except place a bucket under the fan to catch the water.

The next day was a sunny California day.  I ventured into the attic to assess
the damage.  The roof leak was maybe four to six feet from the gutter so the
space in the attic was limited.  I needed to get the insulation batting out
so it could dry.  This would allow me to see how much water was actually on
top of the ceiling sheet rock.  Well, I got the insulation bating out  and
was cleaning up the water on top of the sheet rock when I started to have
what I thought was an asthma attack.  I started gasping for air.  This
triggered dyskinesia.  Thus here I was, somewhat stretched out in a low roof
area having an asthma and dyskinesia attack.

The asthma and dyskinesia were increasing in severity.  I had to get out of
there, down a latter and into my office for a nebulizer treatment for asthma.
 As I crawled out of the confined area I tried to stand and immediately fell
over very dizzy.  Slowly a stood up again this time hanging onto rafters and
any other thing I could find, yet I fell one more time before I arrived at
the latter.  Jane, my wife, was at the foot of the latter wondering what was
happening.  By the time I reached the bottom of the latter my legs were like
Jell-O.  I was gasping for air and my dyskinesia was awesome.

I tried using the nebulizer for an asthma treatment.  It did nothing.  I
tried a second nebulizer treatment - nothing it may have got worse.  I tried
blue glasses, laying on the floor, applying pressure to my head - all in
hopes of reducing the gasping for air and dyskinesia.  It is hard to think
when all hell is breaking loose, but I wondered if my asthma attack was
asthma or if I was hyperventilating.  I remembered a trick taught as a child
for hyperventilation.  Just breath into of a paper bag.  This would reduce
the oxygen slowly and bring hyperventilation under control.  I said to
myself, why not try it -- nothing else was working and the dyskinesia and
gasping was getting worse.

As soon as I started to breath into the paper bag my symptoms started to
subside.  It took about a minute of this breathing  to reduce the gasping
problem and reduce the dyskinesia to near zero.  This was a fantastic
feeling.  In all the years I have had PD never have I heard of
hyperventilation being a side benefit.  Yesterday, Dr. Robin Fross, a
consulting neurologist to Kaiser Parmanente in the Bay Area, spoke to the
Young-Onset support group.  On one of her slides on anxiety was Dyskinetic
Hyperventilation.  It feeds on anxiety and the wrong medication.

I am telling this story so that others might benefit from my experience.   We
do know that anxiety can heighten dyskinesia and hyperventilation.  A simple
solution for me was the old hyperventilation trick learned many years ago --
breathing into a paper bag.  It sure worked for me. The  cost was one I could
afford also.

Regards,
Alan Bonander