This from an interview with Fenton Johnson, who wrote _Geography of the Heart_,
a memoir that recounts Johnson's life with Larry Rose, his partner who died of
AIDS while they were traveling in France:

(actually an excerpt from the book, not from the interview): "The tub was larger
than the bathroom of my old studio apartment.  Larry was too weak to sit or stand
on his own, so I sat him in the warm water.  I sponged his shrunken hips.  The boils that had begun to break out before our departure and that his doctor had
dismissed as insignificant were multiplying.  I soaked each with a warm cloth
until it broke, then drained it onto a clean cloth.

"In this gesture I understood in some small way the love that motivates women
and men who give their lives to the weak and ill.  I understood the shallowness
of my fears that I might abandon Larry once he grew sick.  Now I wanted only
to be with him and to care for him, for in caring for him I was caring for
myself.  I discovered that I loved even his illness and his dying.  How to
explain this to someone whole and healthy?  I loved his illness and dying because they were a part of him; THERE WAS NO HAVING HIM WITHOUT THESE.  It was no
longer given to me to have him whole and healthy; very well, I WOULD BE SATISFIED WITH HAVING HIM WEAK AND ILL [emphases mine]."

I just found this very moving and hope to have the same kind of strength.  I'm
not a patient person; I hate nursing; Don hates being dependent in any way.
We'll have a lot to work out as we go down the PD road together.

Joanne  Sandstrom, CG for Don, 58, 22 yrs., sinemet, stim surgery 6/94