TO:  Stephen C. Holahan

 I have been taking 25 mg amitriptyline for 9 years at night.  I remember it
was listed in the APDA pamphlet then and probably still is.  In fact, I
started taking it about a full year before I started sinemet.  It apparently
helps things other than depression.  I found it helped my tremor and at least
as importantly to me, it helps my ongoing neck pain.  I have heard recently
of other cases of chronic pain where up to 75 mg is being used for pain
management.  I believe I've heard (but you can check w/ a doctor) that for
depression dosages are more in the 150 mg range.  As far as sleep, I have
generally had no sleep problems.  (Also, I try not to take sinemet after 6 or
7 p.m.)  Hope this info is of some help.

Barbara Blake-Krebs