On 24 Jun 96 at 9:23, Zippo Bilbrok 3.0e8 wrote:

> > At this point I shared my own pro-life views and how they did not
> > conflict with the use of fetal tissue to save lives.  I feel that
> > the Research Freedom Act, which makes it a felony punishable by
> > ten years in prison if fetal tissue is made available for profit
> > or has any provisions that would designate who the beneficiary
> > would be, is adequate. This legislation, I feel, protects the
> > unborn and adequately addressed the concern that fetal tissue use
> > would result in more abortions. I compared it to organ transplant
> > use causing more murders. Not likely!
> >

> > Fetal tissue transplant doesn't contribute to abortions any more
> > than organ transplant contributes to murder. Lets get on with our
> > Parkinsons work and let the pro-life movement focus on the events
> > that lead to abortion.
> >

> I see a small flaw in your argument that must be addressed.  The
> fact is that there are rumors of an "organ market" in third world
> countries; people are being coerced into donating organs for money,
> or indeed are being killed.  We have had an example of a  woman
> conceiving in this country for the purpose of providing a fetus for
> cell transplant (I believe that I read the recipient had PD - the
> transplant was done in Europe).
>
> I do not wish to bring this issue up for discussion, but so that you
> may understand the continued objections of the pro-life movement.
> ----- Regards Mary Ann

Mary Ann,

Please explain further where you think the flaw in Bob's argument
is.  I would very much like to understand the point you are trying to
make.

Do you want all organ/tissue transplants and research be banned?

Do you have any documentation regarding the woman who supposedly
conceived for the purpose of donating fetal cells?  The only example
I know of this was a fictional episode of "Chicago Hope" which
appeared on TV last season, presenting a case which was very much
against the law.

This story seems apocryphal, because my understanding is that in
order for fetal tissue implants to be effective, tissue is needed
from several donors, not just one.  The fetal tissue which can be
effectively transplanted can only be obtained from donors at a very
early,  specific stage of gestation.  One donor could not possibly
suppy the amount of tissue needed to be effective.

Don't want to be confrontentional, but please explain what kind of
life you are "pro."

Best,

MM
Best,