Once again, this is Sherri Cave writing from Nicki's house:

The fastest way to learn who you should call or write first is to call the
Parkinson's
Action Network at 1-800-850-4726

One of our primary goals right now is to get a majority cosponsoring the bill
in both the
House and the Senate.  Calling, writing, or FAXing your own non-cosponsoring
rep's
is primary.  If you have arguments ready to meet certain objections, go to
it, but
don't let that slow you down too much.  Some legislative assistants met with
last week said that without some calls from constituents, their bosses will
only want to get a memo reporting on our meeting rather than having a real
discussion about the Udall bill.  Be clear that you want cosponsorship of S.
684/H.R. 1462 as soon as possible because we need that to get the bill on the
floor.  Get your first request out fast because if we've recently met with
supportive staff, they will need to hear from constituents in order to act
most effectively.  Call or write each week and ask friends and co-workers to
do the same.  I've finally started wearing my "no PD" button everywhere I go,
so I'm telling people about the Udall bill every day.  Most who ask what it
means don't ask for materials or offer to make calls, but some do.

Then contact friends and relatives and ask them to call, especially if they
live in the district of a legislator mentioned on the list.  I know there are
many receptive rep's in Montana and the Dakotas who have had little or no
recent contact from constituents.

At this point, your next step will depend upon the responses you've received.
 Then it's time to call PAN (or email at [log in to unmask]) or email Jim
Cordy or write to the list and ask for the next step.  Help is available, and
there are good answers to the objections and excuses we are receiving.

Re: Bob's wonderful fetal tissue research letter and recent discussion.  The
protective standards in U.S. funded research do not allow any discussion of
donation until after the abortion decision has been made, and no one can
profit from donating fetal tissue or designate a recipient.  I think this
effectively precludes any of the scare scenarios.  I think if you really look
at how bizarre any of the hypothetical scenarios would be (six or so females
close enough to the patient to want to do this but not related or close
enough that the researchers would be able to pick up on the connection all
manage to conceive at about the same time, which happens to coincide with the
time the few surgeons doing this procedure are available and when the
intended patient would almost certainly be next in line???), you'll see that
anyone close enough to the subject to know the facts would also know it just
isn't feasible.

Also, becoming part of a research program is not the same as getting on a
list for an approved, commercially available organ transplant.  While some
type of implantation procedure will very likely become the widely available
breakthrough we hope for, it almost certainly won't use human fetal tissue.
 We do, however, need human fetal tissue research to continue in order to get
there!

An important point to make to Smith and other cosponsors of this bill:  not
all research using human fetal tissue is being done for Parkinson's disease.
 Therefore, if someone insists on bringing the fetal tissue issue up again,
it is entirely unfair and inappropriate to tack it onto a Parkinson's
specific piece of legislation.

Thanks to Bob Martone and other pro-life Parkinson's advocates who are
getting the facts out and saying, as Bob Dole did years ago, that funding
human fetal tissue research is the pro-life thing to do.

Sherri
(usually [log in to unmask])