(This is actually Sherri Cave, I am just writing from Nicki's computer)
I, too, am looking forward to see what happens when the dust settles--there
were
a number of other quite positive meetings that didn't make it onto Jim's
list.  In general,
the message we got from supportive LAs was, I will present your points, but
we
need to hear from constituents.  Quick calls are probably the best at this
point,
especially if it's a non-cosponsoring Senator because someone has probably
met
with their staff--you don't have to prepare to present all the intricacies
ahead of time.

You must point out that

1) you are a constituent, the person you talk to should take your name and
address so that you can receive a written response.

2) you are specifically requesting that the Senator/Congressperson sign on as
co-sponsor of S.684/H.R. 1462 as soon as possible so that we can get this
bill out
on the floor

I was part of teams that met with both Montana Senators and both had quite
supportive
and knowledgeable staff members.  Both said it was the type of legislation
that
each would support at the request of constituents.  I've asked them to check
files to
see whose written in the past, but they need to hear from people again.  A
few letters
back in April-June of 1995 are not enough to make this an urgent priority.  I
think
the post cards will also work very well, but don't wait, do both.  Call
friends and family
in states with non-cosponsoring representatives.

If your legislator's staff needs more information, get the L.A. for Health's
name and
ask Michael at PAN to see that someone gets in touch with them--707-544-1994
or 800-850-4726.  If the staff member would like to meet with someone to
discuss
the Udall bill, I'll be back home and available to take on appointments after
July 1--
my email is [log in to unmask] and my # is (301) 559-7626 (I won't be home until
June
28 though).

Someone asked about the Udall bill being attached to the NIH reauthorization
act:
the answer is "yes" in the Senate now, but we can't rely on that alone since
the act
itself may not get passed this year.  With a majority cosponsorship, Hatfield
has said
he will ask for a short amount of floor time to quickly bring the bill to a
vote.  other
than getting that majority, our main threat may be an anti-fetal tissue
research move.

A new point we are making:  Parkinson's research is not the only research
using fetal
tissue research and it is extremely unfair to attach an anti-fetal tissue
research
ammendment to the Udall bill, thereby singling out Parkinson's.  If some
legislators
wish to bring this issue up again, then it should be attached to the overall
NIH
bill, not just to Parkinson's disease research.

Please make those calls.  I must have felt like we'd run out of time already
at least
once every week in June, and I know I'm not the only one.   If we come out
with 50%
in both houses during the next week or two, we've got a great shot.  Yes, it
is
unfortunate that there are legislators whose entire offices haven't heard of
the Udall
bill, but what those of us who met with legislators and staffers this week
need now
is for constituents to make our work worthwhile--it will not be a priority
without your
calls, in fact, many of those meetings will not even go beyond the
legislative assisstant
unless you tell them they need to move the Udall bill to the top of the pile.

Sherri Cave