Dear Fokke,

My grandfather had Parkinson's with dementia and depression.  I know how
difficult it can be to not know the causes of either.  I am now doing
research on living with Parkinon's and included some information on
cognitive problems associated with parkinson's.

Studies have found that dementia or other cognitive disturbances occur
in about 30% of Parkinson's cases.  Loss of memory may be a result of the
dementia, or may be due to having Alzheimer's at the same time.
Researchers do not know what causes dementia in most Parkinson's people
but sometimes it is due to the medication which the doctor has
prescribed.  You may want to ask your father's doctor about his
medications possibly causing these kinds of side effects.

Depression has been said to be present in more than one-half of people
with Parkinson's (For references,see: Parkinson's Disease:  The Complete
Guide for Patients and Caregivers by Abraham Lieberman, M.D.)
Depression may be caused by the same biological processes (dopamine or
serotonin deficiencies)  that cause
Parkinson's, or it may be due to the reaction of teh patient to diagnosis
and functional loss, but it is most probably a combination of both
reasons (from "Depression in Parkinson's disease: A psychosocial
viewpoint" by
R. Brown and M. Jahanshahi in Advance in Neurology, Vol. 65, Raven Press,
Ltd.  New York. 1995)

In any case, your father MAY be able to find help for his memory loss or
depression.  You might be able to get a referral from your father's
doctor to a neurologist or psychiatrist who may be able to give you some
specific answers.

Good luck with your search for answers and with your search for a job too!

Heather Moore