Hello fellow advocates,

I just learned something incredible! Take a guess how many Udall postcards
Barbara Schirloff has had printed, picked up from the printers 2 hrs away
from her home, set up an assembly line putting her two children, husband and
parrot to work counting, stuffing cards, labels and stamps into Priority
Mail envelopes, and going to the post office to mail each package for $3.00.
These past few weeks her life has been: filling the orders she has received
from all of us eager participants in this mammoth mailing effort...??
BTW, she has NOT complained.
Okay, I know the suspense is killing you: how does Twenty-Five Thousand and
Four Hundred cards sound? Yes, 25,400!!!

Before another order for 50K+ cards is placed, I think we need to evaluate
the results of the first mass mailing effort. I understand that some of the
PD organizations are now requesting 10,000(s) of cards.  This wonderful
development begs a couple of questions: (1) should we turn  the whole
kit and caboodle over to PDF, ADP, etc?  They have a whole organization set
up with $$ to pay for printing and mailing expenses. And (2) can we gather
evidence of the affect these cards have had on the recepient House and
Senate members? As we make our phone calls to the Members, let's ask if they
have noted the receipt of MANY cards and whether it has made an impact in
promoting discussion and consideration to co-sponsor the Udall bill????
We are acting as a group in this effort, so please offer your thoughts and
suggestions.  We need to make decisions now!

Ofcourse, the steps in being a good advocate (see Cordy's 6/27 post) must be
an on-going daily activity (just like our various PD symptoms), we just need
to step back and evaluate the method(s) we use to BE NOTICED!!
Jim wrote: "As we begin the final effort to pass the Udall Bill, we will be
asking you to redouble your letter writing and phone contact with your
legislators.  Perhaps more important is for someone with Parkinson's to
visit every Senators and Congressmen. Don't wait for someone else to make
this personal contract.    Surely it would be an awful feeling to see this
legislation fall short by a few votes and to realize you could have made the
difference.  It is far better to have several visit than to have none.  With
both of these efforts we must continually emphasize WE ARE CLOSE TO FINDING
CURE."
Please post to the group with your thoughts as quickly as you can.
Margaret Tuchman