Hi all -

I've lurked on this list on and off for about a year and want to say
thank you for all the wonderful information I've gotten. My 76 year old
uncle has had PD for about 15 years now. He has rigidity, no little
trembling, and, last September, developed dementia. He also is
incontinent, is developing problems with swallowing, and is very sleep
disorderd - night terrors, hallucinations, and inability to sleep. We
managed to keep him home through the first part of January this last
year but finally had to place him in a long-term care facility as it was
taking me, my cousin, my aunt, and several nurses to take care of him.

My aunt, who is 72, is able to pay for the long term care facility with
a combination of my uncle's pension and social secuirity and the
interest from some investments. This care costs almost $4,000 a month.
Medicare won't help with it. She is the city clerk for a small town in
central California and is semi-retired but continues to work part-time
in order to pay for health insurance for herself and my uncle. The
insurance pays for my uncle's medication, which is running about $10,000
a year. Last month the city renegotiated its contract with the health
care provider - Blue Shield, I think, and, because my aunt is classified
as a part-time worker, she is no longer eligible for the insurance. She
can't afford to pay out of pocket for the medication at the prices now
charged by the pharmacy.

Does anyone know of any type of health care plan for seniors that will
help pay for medication, or any mail order discount prescription plans?
What about going through the Vetran's Administration (my uncle served
during WWII)? Do any of the drug companies offer special programs for
Parkies? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Kathryn

Please reply to my email at either of the addresses below:
KL [log in to unmask]