Subject: Bathtubs and Shower Stalls

Tubs and shower stalls, areas of difficulty!
As my Dad was needing more care, we went through difficult times.
My mom once called 911 to have him removed from the tub, when he couldn't get
out.  Finally we were assigned  a "home care team", and once a week
some sort of "helper" would come and bath him, and show us techniques
to use, and aids to buy.  For example, we had to get a velcro
control belt to place on him, for the transfer assistant to be able
to hold as he transferred in, during, and out of bathing in shower stall.
We had to get rubber backed shower mat for outside the shower, and
rubber non-slip mat for inside the shower.  We had to get flexible hose
& shower head attachment installed, grab bars, and seat, and then we
learned we needed to use the 3 way portable commode seat to be able
to wash his bottom up through the hole in the seat.

Back to your question of shower stall to replace  tub.
At the least, that is a major project and expense.
As the easy part of getting ideas of what is useful and available,
I recommend you pose as potential customer and visit the nursing care
facilities in your area, and be sure to ask to inspect the bathroom
and shower facilities at each skilled nursing facility.
In the ones where we have since placed my Dad, I have seen a "single,
large" shower stall for the bath in a double bed room.  Even though
it was made for a SNF (Guardian managed facility), it seemed to be
difficult for even the skilled staff to use.  Where we have him now,
they have a shower area a little larger than a "double" where the
floor is tiled and he is just placed on a plastic wheeled chair,
and wheeled into the shower area (no shower stall curb).  That is
a very convenient arrangement!

In any event, the SNFs in your area would show you a variety of
arrangements that are available in your area, perhaps through
some sort of SNF supply house.

Wish you well in the increasing difficulty of providing care.
Don

 Jo> Hi:  has anyone had any experience having a tub removed and a
 Jo> shower stall put in so that there is no space left (ie the shower stall
 Jo> fits in exactly where the tub was taken out)?  Jack is finding it more
 Jo> and more difficult to get in and out of the tub (he sits on a chair in
 Jo> the tub) and even with the grab bars he is having trouble.  Any ideas
 Jo> would be appreciated.  Thank you.
 Jo> Jack and Joan Martin, Oshawa, Ontario, Canada

... [log in to unmask]; 1:125/104; BBS (415)459-4503 10PM-7AM PDT
___ Blue Wave/386 v2.30 [NR]