                                 RTK.NET Mail 168914   Jun 28 22:00:03 1996

Dear Margaret, Barbara, and all those working on the post card effort,

Here are my thoughts on the project based on what I know so far:  it's great!
I suppose what I most hope to see are cards from constituents of
legislators who have recently been visited, especially when those visits
have been from people who aren't constituents.  Most of the experienced
lobbyists have already made a visit to their own legislators' offices, so
_many_ of the visits at the recent crash lobby were made by non-constituents.
These post cards will be _fast_ and will get some the numbers of requests
up.  Please ask everyone to be sure to write their own legislators and not
just the ones we've targetted.  Yes, visits make the biggest impression
and calls and personal letters are better than mass mail efforts, BUT one
does not preclude the other.  Send your card today and keep working on
the other projects.

Because sending a card or making a simple "cosponsor S.684/H.R. 1462 as soon
as possible" call is much easier than composing an original note explaining
the bill, I think it will be easier for most people to ask their more
extended friends, family, and co-workers to do this

Do post cards from non-constituents make a difference?  I've heard a
variety of opinions, but I think in large numbers, they will get noticed.
Post cards are probably better than letters since letters from
non-constituents don't always get opened.  In order to look at the address,
the office staff will have to look at the card, and the message will be
hard to miss.

This effort may not have had such an impact one year ago or even six months
ago, but a _lot_ of Senators (probably _most_ of them) and Congresspersons
have gotten Udall bill visits in May and June.  During June, I got the
impression that the awareness of the bill is much greater than it was in May,
so the post card effort will really capitalize on that new awareness.

If we were aiming for lots of post cards in September, I'd say turn it over
to the national org's, but I think it will be faster to stay with the
current plan.  Let's all find money to help offset costs, and perhaps people
could talk with their support groups and friends about sending a donation.
A few $20+ donations would go a long way to off-setting costs, and I think
most people will come through with at least a reimbursement for the costs.

Great work!

Sherri Cave