---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 1996 23:24:01 -0400
From: [log in to unmask]
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Introducing myself to the list

Dear Barbara--
    Thanks for the welcome.  I was diagnosed with PD two years ago,  at age
63,  with on-again-off-again trouble walking and maintaining balance, and
difficulty typing with left hand; not much tremor..  Symptoms respond
reasonably well to Sinemet although not as well as they did two years ago,
especially late in the day.  (I'm not persuaded that Sinemet CR, which we're
currently trying, works as well as the ordinary little yellow tablets.)
     Particular interests in signing up for the list include learning about
any impact of PD on vision.  For reasons unrelated to PD, one eye is gone, so
I'm hyper about vision in the one that remains.  That eye fogs up now and
then, usually in the evening, badly enough to prevent reading, and the
thought occurs that PD might be the culprit.
    Another question relates to the plight of PD patients who lack
caregivers.  I've lived alone for years in a center city apartment in DC and
continue to find that congenial.  I'm still working four days a week,  enjoy
my work, and would like to continue.  But some practical friends urge a move
now into a retirement community, with life care, before symptoms worsen so
much that the community would turn me down.  Tough tradeoff.
    Whether or not anyone has thoughts on these particular questions, I am
grateful for the list.   Jack Noble ([log in to unmask])