>    Hi:  has anyone had any experience having a tub removed and a shower
>stall put in so that there is no space left (ie the shower stall fits in
>exactly where the tub was taken out)?

Your best bet would be to custom build a tile shower in the space left by
the tub.  You could then get the exact size you want with a bench seat,
grab bars, etc.

The main problem with remodling a bathroom is getting the tub and/or shower
unit in and/or out of the house through the existing doorways. There are
knockdown shower units but my experience is that they are not high quality.

The tile option is more money, but you get what you want.

Good luck,

Pete Morgan