Date:          Fri, 28 Jun 1996 10:50:17 -0700
From:          [log in to unmask] (susanj)
Subject:       Poem: Drinking From My Saucer...

My mother had Parkinson's for twelve years before she died last
November with cancer.  The Little Rock Parkinson's Support Group will
attest to her incredible spirit and ability to cope through strength
and humor. She wasn't one to focus on the negative, and whenever
possible, she took every opportunity to remind herself of her
blessings and fortune.  The following poem was given to her by a dear
friend and for Sara, became somewhat of a creed.  I hope other PD
patients and caregivers will get some comfort in it.

Drinking From My Saucer...

I've never made a fortune, and it's probably too late now.
But I don't worry about that much, I'm happy anyhow.
And as I go along life's journey, I'm reaping better than I sowed, And
I'm drinking from my saucer, 'cause my cup has overflowed.

I ain't got a lot of riches, and sometimes the goin's tough.
I've got three kids that love me. That makes me rich enough.
I just thank God for His blessings, and the mercies He's bestowed. I'm
drinking from my saucer, 'cause my cup has overflowed.

I remember times when things went wrong, and my faith got a little
thin. But then all at once the clouds broke and the old sun peeked
through again. So, Lord, help me not to gripe about the tough rows
that I've hoed, I'm drinking from my saucer, 'cause my cup has
overflowed.

And if God gives me strength and courage
when the way grows deep and rough,
I'll not ask for other blessings,
I'm already blessed enough.

And may I never be too busy