After considerable dialogue and review of available PAN material with
Senator Hutchison's aide Shelby, the senator has agreed to help Senator
Hatfield gain full Senate support for the Udall Bill. While the Senator
is not yet a cosponsor because as a matter of current office policy she
requires budget offsets.  She has asked Senator Mark Hatfield to find
the offsets and will do all she can to gain support for the bill.

Here is the text of Senator Hutchison's letter to Senator Hatfield.

Dear Mark,
I have recently heard from many constiuents in Texas in support of your
bill, The Morris K Udall Parkinson's Research, Education and Assistance
Act (S.684), which is currently pending in the Labor, Health and Human
Services Committee.

As you know, I recognize the importance of research for Parkinson's
victims and their families and I am a strong supporter of medical
research into this illness. Like you, I believe that the costs of
health care can be contained over the long run by investing in quality
research and other efforts to find cures for the "incurable" diseases.
I hope that when this bill is reviewed by the Committee or when it
comes to the Senate floor, you ensure that the necessary offsets are
available to fund this essential research.

Please be assured that I will do all I can to work with you to gain
full Senate approval for the Udall bill.

Sincerely,
Kay
Kay Bailey Hutchison