From:   "Byron, Sara" <[log in to unmask]>
To:     "owner-parkinsn" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: RE: Sinemet and protein
Date:   Tue, 9 Jul 1996 01:16:07 -0400
Thank you for the great article.  Could be that this has been
discussed...but....

My father does not take any nutrition by mouth.  For years, my mother has
laboriously prepared food, and used a blender to make it ready for the
G-tube.  Last year her home health nurse convinced her that a diet of Ensure
alone is sufficient.  Obviously it saves her a lot of time and bother, but I
have always felt that something must be missing in this equation.  Ms.
Holden's information would indicate that a generic generally accepted food
substitute may not be optimal for a PD patient.  My mom now primarily
depends on Ensure, but adds home made food mostly because it gives Dad more
of a satisfied feeling than the Ensure.

Does any one else have opinions about the food substitutes?

Sara Byron for
Agnes Byron CG for Richard Byron , 79
PD since 1969!